Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Trip To The Mangrove Forest

Follow me! said the tour guide, slowly stepping into the gray muck. I was on a trip where I would go to a swamp and plant mangrove trees. I was second in line cautiously stepping into what I thought was going to be rather easy. Oh, I was so wrong, less than a minute in the swamp and one person had already fallen over, from the sounds of it I would say he was stuck. I did not bother looking back. Was I going to be next to fall? Too late! I lost my balance on an unseen root and the right side of my pants had a stripe of gray, while my right hand dove down into the mud. As I recovered my boots started sinking, "When was this going to end" I thought.

Later that afternoon......

Nearly dazed by what I had heard of a boy sinking in shoulder height and being able to get back out. The first couple times my boots sunk I was able to work them out. At one point I lost all interest and carried on with planting the mangroves. soundlessly sank until the mud reached for my knee (which is at least a foot and a half from the bottom of my foot). This time I dug myself out and if that wasn't enough we had to get out the way we had came in, which was now torn and squishy. My decision was to lay branches and sticks down and run over them. It worked but there were no more sticks. Because I was in such a rush to leave, I slipped off my already mud filled boots and jogged out of the pit.

Glad to be washing up and heading home I thought of what I had done. Helping plant a rain forest, discovering wildlife, and now blogging. It makes you think what's on the bright side but one thing is that being a helping hand makes life a lot easier even though it may not be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment